Amateur Radio Equipment
Back to Amateur Radio
Current Manufacturers Of Assembled Equipment
Ten-Tec - Made in USA.
Flexradio - Made in USA.
Down East Microwave - Specializes in VHF/UHF/microwave "weak signal" equipment. Made in USA.
SGC - No longer manufactures transceivers. Antenna tuners still in production. Made in USA.
Publications - Good information here.
Technical Support - Good information here.
SGC HF SSB Users Guide - Very Good!
Smartuners For Stealth Antennas - Very Good!
Amateur Radio Kits
Ameco - Not really defunct, but listed here because at present they only offer ham radio accessories. Their product line was much larger back in the day.
Hamfests- Used Equipment Sources
Discontinued Radios That Merit Attention
- The Icom IC-2AT & IC-02AT series are workhorses. Available for 2 meters, 220 MHz. (IC-3AT & IC-03AT), and 440 MHz. (IC-4AT & IC-04AT). AA battery holder packs are available, and the IC-0xAT series can run on 12VDC.
Surplus Commercial & Military Radios Commonly Used in Amateur Radio
- GE MPA - Front-panel programmable when given the Hamflash firmware upgrade.
- Motorola JT1000 - Front-panel programmable with dongle.
- US Military Bendix King PRC-127 - Front-panel programmable. Good 2-meter rig. AA battery pack as standard equipment.
- Icom H-16 & U-16 - Front-panel programmable. Stock H-16 operates a little out of spec on 2 meters. U-16 works well on 70cm band. Uses IC-xAT and IC-0xAT accessories.
Websites for Commercial LMR Ham Conversions
Amateur Radio Equipment Vendors
Fair Radio Sales - Military surplus radios.
Quicksilver Radio - Amateur radio accessories.
- Back to Amateur_Radio