Via Wikipedia: Minnesota (i/mɪnɨˈsoʊtə/) is a U.S. state located in the Midwestern United States. The twelfth largest state of the U.S., it is the twenty-first most populous, with 5.3 million residents. Minnesota was carved out of the eastern half of the Minnesota Territory and admitted to the Union as the thirty-second state on May 11, 1858. Known as the Land of 10,000 Lakes, the state's name comes from a Dakota word for "sky-tinted water". Those waters, together with forests, parks, and wilderness areas, offer residents and tourists a variety of outdoor recreational opportunities.
Nearly 60% of Minnesota's residents live in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul metropolitan area known as the "Twin Cities", the center of transportation, business, industry and education, and home to an internationally known arts community. The remainder of the state consists of western prairies now given over to intensive agriculture; deciduous forests in the southeast, now cleared, farmed and settled; and the less populated North Woods, used for mining, forestry, and recreation.
Minnesota is known for its relatively liberal social and political orientation, and has a high rate of civic participation and voter turnout. Minnesota ranks among the healthiest states, and has a highly literate population. The large majority of residents are of Scandinavian and German descent. The state is known as a center of Scandinavian American culture. Ethnic diversity has increased in recent decades. Substantial influxes of African, Asian, and Latin American immigrants have joined the descendants of European immigrants and the original Native American inhabitants.
Transition Towns and HackerSpaces
Weekly Transition Town meetings in Minneapolis are at Diamond's Coffee Shoppe (1618 Central Ave) on Tuesday mornings and on Wednesday mornings at Blue Moon (3822 E Lake St). Saint Paul info harder to come by.
Websites about Transition Town projects in and around Minneapolis:
- http://www.transitiontc.org/ - general info
- http://corcorangrows.org/ - Corcoran
- http://sapcc.org/erg - St Anthony Park
- http://www.transitiontc.org/neighborhoods/westsidestpaul/ - West Side St Paul
- http://www.transitiontc.org/neighborhoods/longfellowseward/ - Longfellow/Seward
- http://www.transitiontc.org/neighborhoods/powderhorn/ Powderhorn
- http://www.transitiontc.org/neighborhoods/southtonka/ South Tonka
- http://www.transitionsw.groupsite.com/main/summary Transition Town Southwest
- http://sites.google.com/site/northerntransition/ Northern Transition
- http://www.transitiontc.org/food/ Food-general info
- http://transitionnorthfield.org/ Northfield (south of Twin Cities)
- Studio Bricolage http://www.studiobricolage.org - 612-824-4394
- Twin Cities Maker at the Hack Factory http://www.tcmaker.org
- Twin Cities Robotics Group Saint Paul http://tcrobots.org/
- Minnehaha Free Space for community training, education & skill shares http://minnehahafreespace.org/ (NEW!)
- Transition Towns: http://www.meetup.com/TransitionTownsTwinCities/
- Organic & Green practices: http://www.meetup.com/organic-103/
- Sustainable Revolution: http://www.meetup.com/Sustainable-Revolution-Project/
- TC Gardening: http://www.meetup.com/gardening-135/
Food, CSAs & Farmers Markets
- http://www.mda.state.mn.us/food/minnesotagrown/minnesotacsafarms.aspx MN CSA information
- Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- State.mn.us | The Official Website of the State of Minnesota
- Home | The University of Minnesota Twin Cities
This category has only the following subcategory.